February 3, 2012

Saturday, 3 February 1912

Scott

Lashly wrote, "This morning we were forced to put Mr. Evans on his ski and strap him on, as he could not lift his legs. I looked at them again and found they are rapidly getting worse, things are looking serious on his part, but we have been trying to pump him up he will get through alright, but he begins to think different himself, but if we get to One Ton and can get a change of food it may relieve him. He is a brick, there is plenty of pluck: one cannot but admire such pluck. The light have been dreadful all day and I seemed to have got a bit depressed at times, not being able to see anything to know where I was on the course or not and not getting a word from Mr. Evans. I deliberately went off the course to see if anyone was taking notice but to my surprise I was quickly told I was off the course. This I thought, but wanted to know if he was looking out, which he was." [1]


Notes:

[1] William Lashly, diary, 3 February, 1912, quoted by Apsley Cherry-Garrard in The Worst Journey in the World, ch.XII.

No comments:

Post a Comment