September 19, 2011

Tuesday, 19 September 1911


"[I have] made what I hope is the final decision on our future work," wrote Amundsen. "We will be divided into two parties. To the south go Helmer Hanssen, Wisting, Hassel, Bjaaland and I. Prestrud and Stubberud go east to determine the position of King Edward VII Land.... Our departure is set for the 15th October at the earliest. My intention is to wait longer if weather and circumstances require it. We must go forwards -- but care is needed." [1]

For the fourth time, the boots were altered. They were still too stiff, and impeded circulation, which had led to the frost-bitten heels.


[1] Roald Amundsen, diary, 20 September, 1911, quoted by Roland Huntford in The Amundsen Photographs (London : Hodder & Stoughton, c1987), p.115.

No comments:

Post a Comment