January 22, 2012

Monday, 22 January 1912

Scott

"I think about the most tiring march we have had," wrote Scott, "solid pulling the whole way, in spite of the light sledge and some little helping wind at first." [1]

They were almost at 89°, he noted, "within 2 1/2 miles of the 64th camp cairn, 30 miles from our depot, and with 5 days' food in hand. Ski boots are beginning to show signs of wear; I trust we shall have no giving out of ski or boots, since there are yet so many miles to go. I thought we were climbing to-day, but the barometer gives no change."

After starting that morning, Lashly wrote near the foot of the Beardmore, "we soon got round the corner from the Granite Pillars to between the mainland and Mt. Hope, on rising up on the slope between the mountain and the mainland, as soon as we sighted the Barrier, Crean let go one huge yell enough to frighten the ponies out of their graves of snow, and no more Beardmore for me after this." [2]

"We have now 360 miles to travel geographically to get to Hut Point. Mr. Evans complained to me while outside the tent that he had a stiffness at the back of his legs behind the knees. I asked him what he thought it was, and he said could not account for it, so if he dont soon get rid of it I am to have a look and see if anything is the matter with him, as I know from what I have seen and been told before the symptoms of scurvy is pains and swelling behind the knee round the ankle and loosening of the teeth, ulcerated gums. To-night I watched to see his gums, and I am convinced he is on the point of something anyhow, and this I have spoken to Crean about, but he dont seem to realise it. But I have asked him to wait developments for a time. It seems we are in for more trouble now, but lets hope for the best."


Amundsen

Soft snow with little glide made the going hard for both skiers and dogs. "Ha ha," Bjaaland wrote with not a little glee. "Those fellows who thought they would be pulled 20 m will just have to traipse to Framheim." [3] They nevertheless managed to do their thirty miles a day, almost in sight of home.


Notes:

[1] R.F. Scott, diary, 22 January, 1912, quoted in Scott's Last Expedition, v.1.
[2] William Lashly, diary, 22 January, 1912, quoted by Apsley Cherry-Garrard in The Worst Journey in the World, ch.XII.
[3] Olav Bjaaland, diary, 23 January, 1912, quoted by Roland Huntford in Race for the South Pole : the expedition diaries of Scott and Amundsen (London : Continuum, c2010), p.256.

No comments:

Post a Comment