May 30, 2007

Thursday, 30 May 1907

Amundsen

Nansen during his tenure as Norwegian ambassador to London from 1906 to 1908. [1]

Amundsen, perhaps suspecting that Nansen for whatever reasons of his own would not after all take the Fram south, wrote to him, "Forgive me that I already at this point approach you with a question. It may seem intrusive, but I hope that you will forgive me, as you know how great is my interest in this matter. Have you made a decision with respect to the journey we talked about when I was in London in February? I should prefer to be able to follow you and possibly be of some use; but should it be that this journey does not materialize, then I should very much like to have my plan -- or to use a more correct expression, your original plan -- of going through the Bering Strait and over the pole ready by autumn." [2]


Notes:

[1] Nansen Electronic Photographic Archive, Nasjonalbiblioteket.
[2] Roald Amundsen, letter to Fridtjof Nansen, 30 May 1907, quoted by Roland Huntford in Scott and Amundsen (New York : Putnam, 1980, c1979), p.201.

No comments:

Post a Comment